Local Government Resources
BayREN helps the Bay Area’s local governments reduce energy and water use for a more cost-effective, sustainable and resilient future.
We support local governments by:
- Offering training and resources related to energy code compliance and enforcement
- Providing no-cost engineering technical assistance to help municipal buildings to reach Zero Net Energy or Zero Net Carbon goals
- Assisting local governments with efforts to develop, adopt and enforce local energy reach code ordinances
- Organizing quarterly Regional Forums for Bay Area local governments on a variety of topics related to energy policies
- Providing water utilities with a turnkey water efficiency program to help your customers save water and money
Judicious use of our natural resources ensures a longer, healthier life on our planet. Local government staff — we’re here to help you play your part.
BayREN Codes & Standards makes it easier for building departments to understand and enforce energy code requirements.
Find BayREN resources for developing and adopting reach codes and other energy policies.
BayREN provides local governments with free engineering assistance to save energy and money and reduce the carbon footprint of municipal buildings.
BayREN’s Water Upgrades Save program offers municipal water utilities a proven way to promote water efficiency — and to help your customers save money.
Your county’s BayREN lead advocates for your county’s needs and provides your jurisdiction with outreach and training.
Surveys & Reports for Building Departments
Building department staff and others can use these resources to learn about the barriers to energy code enforcement and efforts to measure code compliance:
- 2021 BayREN C&S Survey of Building Departments
- Permit Resource Opportunity Program (PROP) Report: This report represents the collaborative efforts of the nine San Francisco Bay Area Counties and 15 Bay Area building departments to learn about energy code enforcement barriers and challenges, identify successful enforcement strategies, and gather data about the impact of discrepancies on building performance.
- 2013 BayREN C&S Survey Report