Energy Saving Toolkits
Your free, custom Energy Saving Toolkits are full of great products that can replace inefficient ones in your home to reduce energy use and save you money.
LED bulbs, power strips, water-saving aerators and shower heads — up to $70 in value — will help reduce your monthly bills.
BayREN provides two easy opportunities to receive free energy saving toolkits, with each opportunity providing a different level of assistance:
- Do-it-Yourself: Complete a "Home Evaluation" questionnaire
- Green House Call: Assistance provided by Rising Sun Center for Opportunity either in person or remotely
Steps for a Free Tool Kit
- Have your PG&E bill ready to create a BayREN account. You’ll need to fill in the first 10 digits of your PG&E account number.
- Create your BayREN account. Fill in your information along with your PG&E account number. Hit the “Register” button when you are done.
- You’ll immediately get a “Home Evaluation” questionnaire to determine the energy needs of your home. It’s full of important tips and information about energy efficiency.
- Once you complete the questionnaire and answer all the questions, you’ll receive a report containing individualized recommendations.
- We’ll email about the next steps of getting your kit.
Through a partnership with Rising Sun Center for Opportunity, BayREN is proud to offer free, personalized, and brand new equipment like LED light bulbs and high-efficiency showerheads to homeowners and renters.
Empowering Bay Area Youth
The best part is that when you receive a “Green House Call” you are supporting an earn-and-learn work experience for local youth – trained to be Energy Specialists by Rising Sun – who will provide you with a no-cost home energy and water efficiency assessment, no-cost energy and water saving devices, and information about additional energy-saving programs.
This meaningful earn-and-learn experience serves as a significant opportunity for youth Energy Specialists to build professional skills and repertoire, and can result in additional paid career exploration opportunities with trusted secondary partner organizations working within the burgeoning clean economy sector.
Through 2021, Rising Sun has served over 55,000 Green House Calls and trained and employed more than 2,000 youth participants throughout the 9 Bay Area Counties and San Joaquin County.
Here's how you can receive a Green House Call
- You'll complete a short online survey that will help you to identify your eligibility* to receive the Green House Call in person, or remotely:
- If you are eligible for in person services you can still choose to receive the Green House Call remotely, the choice is yours
- If you are only eligible for remote services, you will complete a 15-minute survey to identify the best opportunities to save water and energy in your home.
- Additionally, you can always call Rising Sun at (510) 665-1501 ext. 300 to speak with a representative and sign up to receive your no-cost Green House Call.
- You will receive brand new equipment like LED light bulbs and high-efficiency showerheads to replace your old and inefficient ones, as needed.
- When you opt for in-person services, we'll send a team of trained Energy Specialists to do all of the work for you!
- If you choose to receive our remote services, an energy efficient kit will be mailed to your door, free of charge.
- All of Rising Sun's staff are up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters, and they are equipped with personal protective equipment to ensure safety for all parties involved. Rising Sun staff follow strict safety protocols that are compliant with county, state, and CDC guidelines.
- Additionally, Rising Sun will provide tips, resources, and rebates to help you save.
*Eligibility for in-person or remote services is dependent upon the time of year, and your location of residence. Additionally, eligibility for our services is on a “while supplies last” basis and only for addresses that have not received Rising Sun’s services within the last 5 years. Rising Sun is glad to help you determine your eligibility.
Available Items in Your ToolKit
Receive up to two. Faucet aerators can save as much as half your water usage, while lowering your bill.
One TrickleStar© advanced power strip. Prevent energy use when your devices are idle, cutting your energy waste.
One aerator. Save an average of 6,000 gallons of water each year from your kitchen sink alone.
Up to five Energy Star® light bulbs for general lighting. More energy efficient and last thousands of hours longer.
One showerhead for your bathroom. An average family could save a potential 2,700 gallons per year.
We’ve got more energy saving products that include rebates and savings for homeowners.